Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mining Operation

Yesterday I was driving though the crazy mining towns of Clifton and Morenci, I observed the huge undertaking we as men have created. By the world's standards, we are in awe of the magnitude of our operations and strive and stress over what is still no comparison to what God can do. After all the mining work, we are left with one big flat blob of mountain. It's huge, but it seems so primitive. Right next to these are immensely articulate mountains fraught with life, detail, light, and beauty.

Half the time I feel like we are in a constant competition. If we are spending so much time competing, where is the reverence for God? Relatively speaking, we are all on the same playing field and should be helping each other, not for our glory but to amplify God's glory. I am a little bit fed up with the operation the world has become – the marketing, the money, the fame. I asked myself and I challenge you to ask yourselves what you can do to undermine the world's operation and magnify the better operation. I sometimes wonder if architecture as a profession strives to compete with God's awesome operation. That is something I would love an answer to. I guess it really comes down to how I use it.

I got to thinking about fame, and how it is over-rated. The other day I found myself reading a stupid Star magazine at Precision Toyota. Why are these people getting a far bigger spotlight than God? Maybe this is more of a personal conviction, but does God really want us as men to make a name for ourselves? Rod definitely hit the nail on the head when he was praying for me at live group the other night. Overt and in your face is definitely not my style.

It's time to Live Hard… under the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment